Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Hierophant

The Hierophant from the Shadowscapes Tarot
I have never had much connection to the Hierophant.  He is supposed to be a voice of wisdom, more earthly wisdom than the High Priestess, but I have always had a hard time relating to him.  He is often depicted with Christian trappings and usually appears to me to be the filter from the divine to me, the usual religious filter.  Since this represents everything I have rejected in my spiritual life, I often do not give him much weight in a reading or I find myself looking for knowledge of negative things because he is there.  My own little quirk, I admit. 

But Stephanie Pui-Mun Law has created a Hierophant that I want to listen to and that I can listen to without being distracted by the organized religion themes found on many cards.  
This Hierophant speaks of the wisdom of the earth because he is of the earth, not a go-between. 

Here is the artist's description: 
"The Hierophant's roots reach deep, entwined around secrets and traditions and the ages.  He believes in ritual and ceremony, in pursuing knowledge and deeper meaning and in the rigidity of a belief system. He elucidates the spiritual and brings it to the earthly plane.  He is calm and in possession of himself and he is the teacher who can help unravel mysteries."

It is amazing what a different image can do for our perceptions.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is definitely a better interpretation for The Hierophant. I, too, have always had trouble when The Hierophant showed up in a reading. This will help immensely. Thank you. ;)

    ReplyDelete