Thursday, March 26, 2009

the shifting sands of Tarot

My first Tarot deck was the Medieval Tarot by Scapini. I thought something medieval seemed appropriate, knowing absolutely nothing about Tarot. This deck and I did not get along at all. I found its somewhat dark images disturbing. It is sitting in a drawer and has been untouched for years.

Then I found out that you are 'supposed' to learn with the Rider Waite deck. So I got one. Unfortunately my intuition took one look at this deck and said 'ZZZzzzzzz'

So I decided to find a deck that appealed to me and found this delightful deck, Tarot of a Moon Garden. Unfortunately, it is pretty crowded for someone to learn with, but I enjoy it and go back to it on occasion. The busyness of the cards doesn't bother me now.

Still looking for a deck to learn with, I found Sacred Circle Tarot. I love this deck, but again it was confusing for a beginner as it does not follow the Rider Waite format exactly, so it can get confusing. I primarily use this deck for meditation which it seems to be perfectly suited for. Each card is a doorway to a landscape that you can just step through in meditation.


So I stumbled along, learning slowly until this deck was printed. Mystic Dreamer Tarot. This one appealed to me in every way. The images attract me, my intuitive voice chatters away happily. This is my main deck and I love it and carry it with me most of the time.



But I have been introduced to the Magical Forest Tarot on Lizzie's Logic blog and I find myself more and more attracted to it. The messages seem to come across loud and clear and the images, while simplistic, really have a lot to say. I don't own this deck yet, but I think I will sometime in the future.

Does your personal experience with Tarot evolve? Have you progressed through decks as your abilities have increased? Do you change decks depending on the reading or your mood? Do you stick with one deck all the time no matter what?

4 comments:

  1. I have 6 decks.. The Rider Waite (doesn't everyone?) the Vampire Tarot (my favorite) The Gilded, the Halloween (adorable) the DaVici *so difficult) and the Gypsy Fortune (not really a tarot deck but great when you dont' have a lot of time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only the one Tarot deck, I think it's similar to the Rider Waite deck, if not identical. The problem I find with it is not all the cards have illustrations helping you with the interpretation. Mainly the Minor Arcana have, for example 9 swords printed on it, with no image to help you understand it. I have seen other decks have images throughout all cards to help you interpret them, but I have not yet found a deck I was completely happy with to try. I also believe a Tarot deck absorbs your energy and works best using the same one. Or at least I have found that so far. I did leave mine on the windowsill overnight on a full moon to cleanse it of any negative energy, and that seemed to help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My journey into the world of tarot did not begin too well either. First off I felt completely turned off by what I viewed as patriarchal images on the Waite decks and its clones. My first deck that got me interested in tarot was Daughters of the Moon by Ffiona Morgan. I was freshly into the Dianic tradition at the time and everything that even looked patriarchal was out the window. This deck of Ms. Morgan's was round, that got my attention very quickly even it is a bitch to shuffle. LOL Also the images in it are carefully re-designed to emphasize feminine. From that deck I progressed to Motherpeace, another round matriarchal deck. I still love that deck today.
    I didn't get around to the Waite decks until I began reading Rachel Pollack '78 Degrees of Wisdom' and then I begin to see the purpose of learning this classic tarot deck. In the meantime I have collected hundreds of decks, some of which are going to always be just that - a collection item.
    Sobeit

    ReplyDelete
  4. sobeit999, when you go shopping again, check out my favorite, Mystic Dreamer. It is a Rider-Waite clone, but it is also very feminist.

    ReplyDelete